Titletown Open Standing Rules
- All entries must be registered electronically prior to the published walk-in drop-off date.
- Entries may be shipped or dropped off at sites listed on the contest website and in the annual rule change document.
1. Light/Golden Ales & Lagers
BJCP Categories: 1a-c, 2a, 3a-b, 4a, 5a-d, 11a-c, 12a-b, 18a, Piwo Grodziskie, Pre-Prohibition Lager
2. Mild Amber/Brown/Dark Beers
BJCP Categories: 2b-c, 3c-d, 4b-c, 6a, 6c, 7a-c, 8a-b, 13a-b, 14a-c, 15a, 19a-c, Kentucky Common, London Brown Ale
3. Porter & Stout
BJCP Categories: 13c, 15b-c, 16a-d, 20a-b,Pre-Prohibition Porter
4. Hop-forward Pale Ales
BJCP Categories: 12c, 18b, 21a-b (21b must indicate the specific color/specialty for each entry.)
5. Wheat/Rye/Other Grain Beers
BJCP Categories: 1d, 10a-c, 31a-b (requires specification of grains and/or sugars used), Roggenbier, Sahti, Gose
6. Strong Beers
BJCP Categories: 9a-c, 17a-d, 20c, 22a-d
7. Belgian & French Ales
BJCP Categories: 24a-c, 25a-c, 26a-d
8. Fruit/Spice/Veg/Herb beers
BJCP Categories: 29a-c, 30a-c (Must state a BASE BJCP style AND all other ingredients in each entry.)
9. Specialty Beers
BJCP Categories: 6b, 32a-b, 33a-b, 34a*-c***
Must state a BASE BJCP style AND all other ingredients in each entry.
*34a The entrant must specify the name of the commercial beer being cloned, specifications (vital statistics) for the beer, and either a brief sensory description or a list of ingredients used in making the beer.
** 34b The entrant must specify the styles being mixed. The entrant may provide an additional description of the sensory profile of profile of the beer or the vital statistics of the resulting beer.
*** 34c The entrant must specify the special nature of the experimental beer, including the special ingredients or processes that make it not fit elsewhere in the guidelines. The entrant must provide vital statistics for the beer, and either a brief sensory description or a list of ingredients used in making the beer.
10. Sour Beers
BJCP Categories: 23a-f, 28a*-c***, Lichtenhainer
*28a -The entrant must specify either a base beer style (Classic Style, or a generic style family) or provide a description of the ingredients/specs/desired character. The entrant must specify if a 100% Brett fermentation was conducted. The entrant may specify the strain(s) of Brettanomyces used.
**28b - The entrant must specify a description of the beer, identifying the yeast/bacteria used and either a base style or the ingredients/specs/target character of the beer.
***28c - Entrant must specify the type of fruit, spice, herb, or wood used. Entrant must specify a description of the beer, identifying the yeast/bacteria used and either a base style or the ingredients/specs/target character of the beer. A general description of the special nature of the beer can cover all the required items.
11. Rackers Annual Challenge
Beginning in 2014 (the TTO’s 20th anniversary,) the club has added an annual challenge category strictly for “grins & giggles”. No scores, strictly a taste-off by a special panel of BJCP judges.
THIS ENTRY MUST BE A DIFFERENT BEER THAN IS ENTERED IN ANY OTHER CATEGORY!
2018 ….“Beers your Great-Grandfathers Drank” – French/Belgian styles only (100th Anniv. of US entering WWI )
2019 (25th Anniversary) ………. “Wooden You Like to Know” - Wood-aged Beers
2020 - Parti-gyle
12. REVENGE OF THE STEWARDS CHALLENGE
OPEN ONLY TO PARTICIPATING JUDGES! Each judge may bring ONE beer (any style) to be checked in by the contest organizer by Saturday morning, April 29th prior to the start of the morning round of judging. Three standard bottles required, you need only state the style and they will be labeled upon check-in. Stewards will be given the opportunity to judge them in BOS fashion and a nice prize will be awarded to the winning judge. There will be NO ENTRY FEE for these beers. These entries cannot be entered in any category in the regular competition.
13. TENACIOUS BADGER CHALLENGE
Any style, but hops used must be exclusively TENACIOUS BADGER HOPs. Recipe required, BEER CAN ALSO BE ENTERED IN THE REGULAR CONTEST category. Will be judged BOS style, no scores will be given.
Limits on entries.
The total number of entries allowed in this contest will be 150, not including beers entered in the Rackers Challenge category.
Entrants may enter only ONE beer per BJCP category EXCEPT in the following:
7C – Kellerbier: Entrants may enter one entry EACH of Pale and Amber Kellerbier
21B – Specialty Pale Ale: Entrants may enter one entry EACH of any of the BJCP-listed Specialty IPAs.
The chief judge reserves the right to disqualify from judging and award eligibility any beer entered if a specialty additive is deemed by the judges to be offensive, inappropriate, or so overpowering that effective judging of the underlying beer style is not possible. There will be no refunds for disqualified beers. Other reasons for disqualification will include but are not limited to:
(a) Violation of any contest rules
(b) Improperly labeled bottles
(c) Bottles where caps are of the wrong color or not blacked out
Standards and Judging
The current BJCP guidelines will be used for judging. View the BJCP guidelines at BJCP guidelines 2015
Multiple rounds beginning mid-week of the published contest date will be held at the discretion of the contest committee and published on the contest website. Queued judging will be used.
- Open to any individual or group home brewer(s). Professional brewers may compete as long as entries comply with eligibility rule below.
- Entries must be brewed at home or non-commercial site. Entries brewed in commercial breweries, brewpubs or brew-on-premises are not eligible for entry.
- FREE WORT rule. Entries brewed at home where the wort was obtained from a commercial/craft brewery are eligible for entry but origin of the wort MUST be stated as a special ingredient.
- Brown or green bottles capable of holding 12-16 ounces and must meet other requirements listed below.
- Two (2) bottles required per entry. A 3rd “insurance” bottle may be sent and is a good idea. Extra beer will be used at future Rackers meetings for evaluation training purposes.
- NOT ALLOWED - ½ liter bottles, plastic bottles, clear glass bottles, and ceramic-closure bottles.
- Bottles must be free of all labels.
- Entry forms are NOT REQUIRED if entries are pre-registered online. Walk-in drop-offs will require extra time to register if not pre-registered online.
- Caps MUST be solid-colored OR blacked out with permanent marker.
- Standard BJCP BOTTLE LABELS. must be attached to each bottle with rubber bands. DO NOT use tape or glue.
Fees & Shipping
- Cost per entry will be listed on the annual rules change section of these rules.
- RACKERS members and JUDGES get first entry free..
- Check or MO only – NO CASH! Checks should be made out to the GREEN BAY RACKERS. The Rackers are not responsible for lost entry fees on entries left at drop-off sites. Any entry lacking the appropriate fee will NOT BE JUDGED.
- Shipping entries.
Some commercial shipping companies may refuse to ship your product. Consider the following options:
Set up your own online account with your favorite shipper (it is usually free to do so) and print your own shipping label at home, then just drop it off or arrange for home pick-up. (Most commercial sites don’t question what’s in it or inspect it when it is already pre-packaged and labeled.)
Avoid using US Postal Service (they can prosecute for breaking their rules, commercial companies simply refuse to ship your package.)
Consider labeling packages as “Food Product For Professional Analysis”
Shipped entries should be packaged carefully to avoid breakage and leaking should breakage occur. There will be no refund for entries damaged in transit. Shipped entries should be sent to: Michael Conard, 1021 Juneau Street, Kewaunee, WI 54216 ATTN: Food Analysis Services
Drop Off Sites
Drop off sites: During their regular business hours. Please remember that these are busy brewpubs.
Titletown Brewing Company TAPROOM, 320 N. Broadway Street, Green Bay, WI 54303
Stone Cellar Brewing Company, 1004 S Olde Oneida St Appleton, WI 54915
The Cellar, 1921 S Washburn St., Oshkosh, WI 54904
Judge’s Special Recognition Awards
Best of Show
Getting it on tap at Titletown!
Posting of Results.
Feedback to Entrants
ANNUAL CHANGES FOR 2018
Online: February 1, 2018 through April 23, 2018 at 4:00 PM CDT.
Drop-offS: Monday, Apri 16, 2018 through Friday, April 20, 2018at NOON, all sites
Walk-in Registration (Titletown Taproom): Monday, April 23, 2018, 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM
NO LATE ENTRIES or DROP-OFFS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
- Checks or money orders should be made out to the GREEN BAY RACKERS.
- NO CASH please. The Rackers are not responsible for any cash payments lost from dropped off entries.
1st Round - Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 6:00 PM
2nd Round – Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 6:00 PM
3rd Round – Friday, April 27, 2018 at 6:00 PM
4th Round – Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:00 AM
5th Round – Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 12:30 PM
AWARDS CEREMONY: Saturday, April 28th at 5:00 PM in Taproom. OPEN TO PUBLIC.
(The Rackers reserve the right to judge flights earlier in the week if flight sizes warrant)
JUDGING IS NOT OPEN TO THE CONTESTANTS OR THE PUBLIC DUE TO FACILITY SIZE RESTRICTIONS AND SAFETY CONCERNS.