January 14, 2017
Duck Creek Vineyard & Winery, Denmark, WI
- Open exclusively to Green Bay Rackers members at this time.
- Fees. $4.00 per entry. Limit of ONE entry per category. Checks should be made out to the GREEN BAY RACKERS. NO CASH! The Rackers are not responsible for lost entry fees or entries left at drop-off sites. Any entry lacking the appropriate fee will NOT BE JUDGED.
- BOTTLE SIZES
Wine - One (1) 750-ml bottle, no labels other than the required bottle label attached by ELASTIC BAND only (no tape or glue.) No restriction on cap/cork type. Sparkling examples are encouraged but not mandated to be in champagne-style bottles with safety cages. Champagne-style wine MUST be in champagne-style bottles with appropriate mushroom cork and safety cage.
Cider/Mead - One (1) 750-ml bottle OR two (2) 12 to 20 oz. beer bottles, no labels other than the required bottle label attached by ELASTIC BAND only (no tape or glue.) Ceramic-cap closures are allowed in this category. Crown caps shoudl be solid color or blacked out with permanent black marker. Sparkling examples are encouraged but not mandated to be in champagne-style bottles with safety cages.
- Open to any individual or group home vintner(s) who is a member of the Green Bay Rackers. Professional vintners may not compete.
- Entries must be brewed at home or non-commercial site. EXCEPTION: Amateur wine makers who are members of wine making clubs that ferment on the premises of a commercial winery are exempt from this rule.
- FREE must rule. Entries brewed at home where the juice was obtained from a commercial/craft brewery are not eligible for entry.
TABLE A. WINES
1) Grape wine, Red - made with only grapes, single variety or blended
2) Grape wine, White - made with only grapes, single variety or blended
3) Pear wine - made with only pears, single variety or blended
4) Stone fruit wine - made from SINGLE type of fruit which has a single stone as its seed
5) Berry fruit wine - made from SINGLE type of fruit which has multiple seeds, including strawberry
6) Vegetable wine - made from SINGLE type of vegetable root/tuber/rhizome, stem, leaves, or flower, includes TOMATO and DANDELION wines
7) Blended wine - made from ANY blend of different products
8) Fortified wine - any varietal or blended wine which is fortified through the addition of additional distilled spirits
9) Sparkling wine - any naturally or artificially carbonated wine product.
TABLE B. CIDERS & PERRYS
10) Standard - New World Cider
11) Standard - English Cider
12) Standard - French Cider
13) Standard - New World Perry
14) Standard - Traditional Perry
15) Specialty - New England Cider
16) Specialty - Cider with other fruit
17) Specialty - Applewine
18) Specialty - Ice Cider
19) Specialty - Cider with herbs/spices
15) Specialty - Specialty Cider/Perry
TABLE C. MEADS
16) Traditional - Dry, Semi-sweet, Sweet
17) Fruit Mead - Cyser
18) Fruit Mead - Pyment
19) Fruit Mead - Berry mead
20) Fruit Mead - Stone fruit mead
21) Fruit Mead - Melomel
22) Spiced Mead - Fruit & spice mead
23) Spiced Mead - Spice, herb, or vegetable mead
24) Specialty Mead - Braggot
25) Specialty Mead - Historical
26) Specialty Mead - Experimental
House of Homebrew, 410 Dousman St, Green Bay, WI 54303. December 1, 2016 - January 07, 2017. Please drop off during regular business hours. LATE ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Saturday January 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM. Members are encouraged to attend for the judging. Awards to follow immediately after judging is completed. The Rackers reserve the right to judge flights earlier in the week if flight sizes warrant.
The American Wine Society judging criteria will be used. View the guidelines at American Wine Society.
Awards. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards for all groups in which there are at least four entries. In groups where there are less than four entries, the contest organizer shall determine how many awards there will be for that group.
Best of Show. The BOS round shall consist of a maximum of ten (10) wines.
The chief judge reserves the right to disqualify from judging and award eligibility any wine entered if a specialty additive is deemed by the judges to be offensive, blatantly inappropriate, or so overpowering that effective judging of the underlying wine is not possible. There will be no refunds for disqualified wines.
The Green Bay Rackers are solely responsible for the conduct of this contest. All leftover wine, and empty bottles become the property of the Green Bay Rackers. Entry into this competition shall constitute permission for the Rackers to publish all results on their website.
NEW FOR 2017
- The dates for judging are moved back to January to better accommodate the holiday season schedules for our judges.
- The Rackers club meeting will NOT be held in conjunction with the contest. There will be snacks and tasting following but not a formal club meeting.